This standard is a reference standard, which cannot be applied on its own but which is referred to in all specific protective clothing standards e.g. EN471, the European standard for high-visibility clothing.
EN340 specifies general requirements for protective clothing including:
Innocuousness of the
materials to the user.
Ergonomic requirements for the clothing including comfort, weight and design considerations.
· Performance requirements after ageing including colour alteration, cleaning and dimensional change.
· Sizing requirements according to wearer height, chest and weight circumference, and the requirement for a pictogram as shown below to be used on the garment label showing the body dimensions that the garment will fit.
· Labelling requirements - the label must be clearly visible and legible and include the following information. Rollover each number on the example high visibility garment label for further information: -
1. Name, trademark or other means of identification of manufacturer or his authorized representative.
2. Designation of Manufacturer's reference to type of the garment product type, commercial name or code.
3. Pictogram and size designation according to EN340
4. Reference to the specific European performance standard e.g. EN471, high visibility warning clothing, to which the garment complies
5. Specific pictogram showing the specific hazard the garment design addresses and performance level of the garment. In this case, showing the performance levels of the high visibility garment and retro reflective material used within it.
6. Washing instructions - Care symbols of ISO 3758, maximum number of processes must be stated. Reference to the availability of product information.
7. CE Mark.
· In addition to the information on the garment label, further information should be provided to the user on any safety checks to be carried out before use, the specific area of use and limitations of use of the clothing (eg time of wear in specific conditions), storage and maintenance instructions, instructions for cleaning and disinfection etc. This is usually provided in the form of an instruction sheet.
Information provided by www.solutions.3m.co.uk